Every homeowner has heard about the dangers of asbestos. But what is it and why is it so dangerous? Asbestos is a rock-like mineral found in many building materials. Because of its low production cost and flame retardant insulation properties, asbestos was popular for construction projects from the 1940s to the 1970s. The biggest danger of asbestos lies not in physical contact, but in breathing in the toxic fibers that drift into the air when asbestos-containing materials are disturbed. Asbestos particles can hang around in the air almost indefinitely, causing you and your family to breathe in dust that has been linked to lung cancer, fibrotic lung disease, and mesothelioma.
Is Your Family at Risk?
Before you freak out, you should know that asbestos only becomes a hazard when are disturbed. Unless your home contains deteriorating building materials or you’re investing in a renovation project, you don’t need to worry about asbestos dust. If your home has crumbling drywall, damaged insulation, or other deteriorating building materials, call a professional to test your home for asbestos. Materials that may contain asbestos include:
- Insulation in attics or walls
- Siding shingles and roofing
- Vinyl floor tiles
- Walls and floors around wood-burning stoves protected with cement sheets, millboard, or asbestos paper
- Hot water and steam pipes
- Oil and coal furnaces
- Heat-resistant fabrics
- Clutches and brakes on vintage cars
According to the EPA, taking asbestos samples incorrectly is a serious health hazard. If you’re worried about the presence of asbestos in your home, always call the pros. Clean Environmental Group is fully licensed for asbestos removal and abatement in Georgia. We specialize in asbestos removal in older homes in Atlanta. Contact us to help keep your family safe.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.